We haven't completely given up on our property. But, the truth is, it has been 9 months since our offer was accepted and we still don't have the needed variance, let alone a building permit. We don't know if we'll ever get one. Thank you county for dragging your feet.
Last month we began perusing existing home listings. Just to get an idea of what was out there. We walked through 10-15 homes and found one we really liked. It fit the bill - 3 bedrooms + a den (since Dominic works from home for a portion of his work week), fenced yard, laundry room (not closet), two car garage, and a little space to grow. This home was a little older (read, medium wood trim and odd doors), so over the years we hoped to make a few updates (read, spend money). Although I loved many things about this house, it just didn't feel right and Dominic agreed, so we decided not to put in an offer.
Two days later I emailed our realtor because I was feeling glum about not tossing an offer out there. Another family had, and although it wasn't pending yet, it looked like that house was out of the picture. Wa wa.
The next morning, at 5:30 am, yes, we have an awesome realtor who seemingly works around the clock, we got an email. A new house had just popped on the market. One who's price had just dropped $25,000 bringing it into our budget. Did we want to see it? YES AND YES!
That day, Thursday, we visited this beauty.
It has more than we could have hoped for ... 4 bedrooms, a den, bonus room, shop, upstairs laundry room, under stair mini play room, and soaker bath tub! Plus, white trim and doors which is a HUGE win for me! Few downfalls, there isn't an existing fence, but there is space for one.The kitchen will take a little getting used to ... we may need to add some pantry storage. And, it's two stories, which wasn't part of our initial plan, but after shopping the market, we were looking at an older one story that would take lots of updating or a newer two story. Overall, there is no doubt the perks outweigh the few hiccups. There is even a little park two houses down for Jemma + Max to scamper around.
We completed our pre-qualification on Friday and submitted our offer. They countered. We countered. And this morning ... THEY ACCEPTED! Of course this isn't the final "move in" say, but we're getting so much closer to being in our own home again! If all goes well, we'll close the last day of January.
I celebrated today with a stop at Goodwill. Because obviously. I mean, what else do you do when you buy a new home and have oodles of space to fill? I fell in love with a dresser for Jemmie's new room and scooped it up. Can you tell I'm excited? It's because I am! Now, I'm just praying my little heart out that everything falls into place in the next few weeks!
Home, here we come!