Remember when I promised that Bianca would be back to share her culinary expertise? Well ... today's the day. Get ready to rush out the door for a fresh zucchini so you too can enjoy these scrumptious zucchini cakes!
- - - - -
Hi all! If you are a Pinterest addict like I am, you'll know that sometimes you pin ideas that you, for all intents and purposes, plan to try at some point. My recipe board, Nyam, is full of those. I decided that this summer I'm actually going to make use of this board and try these recipes out. My goal is 1-2 recipes per week, this way all that drooling on the keyboard will go to some good use. I also post the recipes I've used and will write up a brief review - so you know that an actual person has indeed tried said recipe and if itt really is "to die for". I'm calling it my Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge.
A recent discovery has been Zucchini Cakes. I love crab or salmon cakes, and this take on the idea was really interesting. So we tried it out, and made one exception to the original recipe because I didn't have adobo spice in the house, and didn't want to buy some just for this one recipe.
You will need:
- 1 large zucchini, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T adobo spices - I substituted for 2 tsp of Szechuan seasoning, as it was the closest thing I could find in our spice drawer.
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to broil
- Take your grated zucchini and divide it into thirds. Press each portion between 2 paper towels to get the excess juice out.
- Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl.
- Divide them into whatever sized cakes you'd like.
- Heat a pan to med-high heat and spray with non-stick spray.
- Cook each side until it is browned
- Arrange the cakes onto a baking sheet and finish them up in the oven on broil, under 2 minutes.
with your favorite dipping sauce! We paired these with stuffed salmon
(Costco), grilled shrimp and strawberry salad- perfect for a light
If you'd like to follow along as I go through my pinterest board, check me out on The Pierogie Mama!