Lately, I've been super obsessed with Indian food. There is a little joint in town that makes the most amazing, fabulous, superb everything. Namely, the tikka masala, pollock paneer, and naan. Oh ... AND THE SWEET INDIAN RICE that is served up for dessert. Mmmmm.
Mouth. Watering. Now.
I decided to try my hand at sweet indian rice (also known as kheer) and imagine this ... it turned out delicious! Now it is your turn:
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 cup rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- dash nutmeg and saffron
- 1/2 cup pistachios
This is the tricky part ... you pretty much have to stand next to the stove top and pray
- Toss the rice in a large saucepan and roast for 2-3 minutes on low heat, stir frequently
- Add the milk and turn up the heat to medium/high
- Bring milk to a boil, very slowly, burnt milk is no good
- Once boiling, add sugar and stir
- Reduce the heat and simmer/stir until the milk reduces to about half and rice is cooked, about 20-30 minutes
- Add spices and stir
- Garnish with pistachios after dividing into serving bowls