Your Birthing Time Begins
- I put all fear aside as I prepare for the birth of my baby.
- The power and intensity of my birth waves cannot be stronger than me, because they are me.
- My baby is strong and healthy. I trust my body. There is no need for us to hurry.
- So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. -Isaiah 41:10
- Focus on what you can do, then do it will all your heart. -Lois Wilson
- I know my baby feels my calmness and confidence.
- Just as my heart knows how and when to pump, my lungs to inhale, and my hand to pull back from fire, so I know when and how to give birth. -Virginia DiOrio
- Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. -2 Thessalonians 3:16
- 300,000 women will be giving birth with me today. Relax and breathe and do nothing else. Birth is hard work and I can do it!
Enjoying Your Beautiful Birth
My favorite part about week 5 was the focus on education and awareness of all the choices surrounding the actual birth event - how and when to push, apgar scores, post-birth specifications for mom and baby, breastfeeding support, as well as circumcision and vaccination decisions. I'm so happy that Hypnobabies plants seeds and resources on each of these topics! So much of what mamas run into in a traditional setting is mere routine and and simple waiver form or verbal request can completely change the birth experience.
My biggest take away from week 5 was the section comparing purple pushing and mother-directed pushing. Purple pushing describes the forceful pushing while holding your breathe and having a nurse count. I definitely experienced this in the hospital with Jemma and it was not pleasant.
Mother-directed pushing is the alternative where mama's body is allowed to instigate laboring down, pushing, and a slower and gentler birth. The article, Pushing Techniques by Brenda Lane is a great resource. In conjunction with mother-directed pushing, Hypnobabies encourages mamas to breathe baby out - meaning that as mamas breathe through an open-mouthed "ahhhh" - their throats link to their bottoms creating more openness. This is actually a scientific process called peristalsis. Open mouth equals open everything.
With Jemma's birth, I felt so exhausted by the end I feel like I lost control and only did what Dominic or the nurse was telling me to do through each birth wave, rest, and everything else. My mind was so foggy I just didn't have the stamina to turn within and allow my body to do what it knows best. I'm excited for the opportunity during brother's birth to be much more relaxed, in tune, and really listen to my body throughout all stages of birth.